Powered by Blogger.
RSS

"Guardians of Ga'Hoole" by Kathryn Lasky


The Guardians of Ga’Hoole series is best known as the 2010 film Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole. This book series is better, though.
The first think that you might want to know about this series is that it is ALL about owls. In fact, they don’t ever mention a human in the whole series, which comprises of 15 books, all around the page count of… 200-250? Something like that.
The whole idea behind the Guardian series is very intriguing. In some ways, it’s almost informative, because I myself learned things about owls that I hadn’t known before. This book is the reason why I have started to study Ornithology.
I haven’t read the series in a while, so I’m a little rusty in my memory so I’m sorry I can’t go more into it, but I do know that the whole idea behind the Guardians has to do with the wars.
Ages?
With ages it’s a little hard to tell. It’s written in a way that is very easy to understand, but the plot is complex and there is some graphic violence. So I would say no younger than 11, maybe younger if you (or your child) is an advanced reader and doesn’t mind a little bit of blood.
But trust me, even older, the whole thing is quite awesome and can definitely satisfy older people. My mom even loved it when she read it to us as a family.
Philosophy and Morals
I would say that the theme to this whole series is war. Wars between those who think some are superior to others, and then some who think all are equal and very special in their own way. It’s almost like an owl Civil War (excuse the American reference international folks).
At the beginning at least (I really don’t remember very much past the first three books) there is also the element of family and love. Kludd, Soren (main character)’s brother, seems to be born evil. He’s always very rude and very snobby to not only his younger siblings (Soren and newly-hatched Eglentine) but to Miss Plithiver (spelling? also Ms. P for short) their snake maid and his own parents. Even though they’re family, Kludd is treasonous to them all. So the moral? Even if your born evil, you don’t have to go pushing your younger sibling out of trees where they could be snatched up… okay I won’t spoil it.
Question(s):
Would you push your sibling out of a tree? (Lets hope not…)
Do you think that it’s true that peace is declared by the ‘person with the bigger stick’? In other words, do you think that war can 
create peace?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 observations:

Post a Comment