Powered by Blogger.
RSS

"Uninvited" by Amanda Marrone


Uninvited was a YA horror book by Amanda Marrone. It dealt with vampires, but not in the way we see them a lot here in 2010 and 2011. It's the classic vampire story with the garlic and crosses and inviting them in.

It was generally well-written, but I found it a bit disappointing. Mainly because I expected it to be a little more of a horror novel. This might have been simply because my friend told me it was creepy, though I didn't think so.

I must admit the cover was also a little misleading in "level of creepiness", but definitely wasn't as misleading as my friend's comments. The storyline was also a little more rebel-teen, which I normally don't enjoy as much. (See Age)

But don't get me wrong. It was well-written and I actually liked how this vampire was not a beautiful saint-like depressed undead guy  and that he was actually heartily lying when he said he loved Jordan.

Age?
This book is definitely NOT for kids and even for YAs on the younger half of the spectrum. It brings up drugs, alcohol, sex, cussing, etc. It also doesn't have a very good morality to it for young readers to think is okay. It's for older teens that already know their morals.

I would say no younger than 15, 14 tops.

Philosophy, Morals, and Themes
This book doesn't really have a moral, unless you consider 'why to stay away from undead exes' a moral.
I think it was a bad influence how Jordan was constantly being taken advantage by boys and how she always drank her worries away.

I am glad that she AND her friends all got clean in the end, though. It was a nice ending.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 observations:

Post a Comment